Sparks Justice Court

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)


  • What is a citation?

    A citation is a formal notice issued by the law enforcement agency listing the alleged offenses. The citation will have information as to which court you will need to report to as well as the bail amount.
  • Can I pay my citation online or by phone?

    You may pay your citation online and by phone if your case is not at warrant. To pay your citation online, please visit For additional help please click here.

    • Phone payments can be made 24 hours a day seven days a week by calling GovPayNet at (888) 604-7888
    • Please contact the appropriate department first if you do not have your case number at (775) 353-7600 during business hours M-Th 7:30 am - 5:00 pm (closed for lunch from noon to 1:00 pm); Fri. 7:30 am to noon
    • Payments by phone will have a credit/debit card processing fee assessed
    • Payments by phone will not be allowed for active warrant cases
    •  The court will review all payments before they are fully accepted and processed
    • Confirm you are paying the correct court on your citation - Sparks Justice Court
  • My drivers license is suspended. What do I do?

    A driver license suspension or revocation is a separate action from your court case. Your driving privileges are not automatically reinstated after a warrant is resolved and you must follow the reinstatement procedures from DMV as well as physically receive a license to regain your driving privileges. A clearance letter will need to be obtained from the court after the warrant is resolved and must be submitted to the DMV for reinstatement purposes. Your license may be suspended for multiple reasons that may not involve a court. Click on the following link for a list of driver license suspension causes and information on how to reinstate your license



  • Can I view or pay for my criminal case online or by phone?

    Currently, the option to view your criminal case online is not available and will be implemented in the future. You may make your payment:

    • In person at the counter during business hours
    • By phone 24 hours a day by calling GovPayNet at (888) 604-7888. Please have your case number ready. If you do not have your case number, contact the Criminal Department at (775) 353-7600 during business hours. Phone payments will not be accepted for active warrant cases. A credit/debit card processing fee will be assessed.
    • Online by visiting A credit/debit card processing fee will be assessed.
    • By mail: Mail to Sparks Justice Court, 1675 E Prater Way, Suite 107, Sparks, NV 89434
    • Dropbox: located on the north east corner of the building, next to the flag pole.

    *Please make checks and money orders payable to the Sparks Justice Court

  • What is a criminal case?

    A criminal case is a case pursued by the state that alleges criminal allegations against a defendant.
  • What is a criminal complaint?

    A criminal complaint is a formal charging document filed for criminal cases. The complaint will list the defendant's name, the prosecuting attorney, the charges and statute alleged and a description of those charges.
  • What is an arraignment hearing?

    An arraignment hearing is where you are provided a copy of the charging document, advised of your rights and asked to enter a plea.

  • What is DAS or Pretrial Supervision?

    Pretrial supervision may be ordered by the court as a condition of your release. Most often, Pretrial supervision is ordered prior to sentencing. Department of Alternative Sentencing (DAS) may be ordered by the court as a sentencing requirement or a mandatory condition as party of the Sparks Recovery Court (SRC) program. Most often, DAS supervision is imposed at time of sentencing.
  • What is the difference between an Arrest Warrant and a Bench Warrant?

    An arrest warrant is a warrant issued by the judge at the request of the state. The arrest warrant is accompanied by a formal charging document filed by the state and most likely a result of investigations. An arrest warrant requires booking with the Washoe County Sheriff's Office. A bench warrant is a warrant issued by the judge due to defendant's failure to appear for hearing or failure to comply with sentencing requirements.
  • Where do I go if my case waived to the District Court?


  • May I watch a hearing in session?

    The courtroom sessions are open to the public. There are circumstances where you may be subpoenaed to testify on a case and asked to leave the courtroom during another testimony.
  • Is photography permitted inside the building?

    No photography or recording allowed in the court building. All electronic devices must be turned off prior to entering the courtrooms.
  • What am I prohibited from bringing into the building?

    No weapons or illegal items of any kind allowed. No food or drink allowed in the courtrooms.
  • What are the requirements for Court attire?

    Please dress appropriately for court. No tank tops or shorts allowed. If the clothing is revealing or offensive, you may be asked to leave. Ball caps and sunglasses should be removed before entering the courtrooms.
  • May young children attend court?

    Children are allowed, but it is not recommended. If your child/children do attend, please refrain from any disturbance of court proceedings.
  • How do I contact collections?

    Valley Collections may be contacted by mail, phone or online.

    • Valley Collections
    • P.O. Box 10130
    • Glendale, AZ 85315
    • Phone: (623) 931-4325
    • Website:
  • Can I change my court date?

    If you are set for an arraignment hearing, you may contact the court and speak with a clerk. If you are set for any other type of hearing, the court is unable to continue your hearing and you will be required to contact your attorney of record.
  • How do I get an extension on my requirements?

    Appear in person at the counter to request an extension. The first extension is $10.00 and the second or subsequent extension is $25.00. The extension fee is required to be paid before the extended time is granted.
  • May I speak with the Judge?

    You may speak with the judge at your scheduled hearing, in the courtroom and on the record.
  • Where can I complete community service?

    You may complete community service at the Sparks Municipal Court or any non-profit organization. You will be required to sign up at the Sparks Justice Court for community service and pay a community service fee. The sign up fees are $10.00 for Sparks Municipal Court and $25.00 for non-profit organizations. You are required to provide proof of enrollment and proof of completion to the court.
  • I posted cash bail. What happens to the bail?

    If you posted cash bail on behalf of a defendant, you will need to retain the receipt as it is required to be presented to the court to receive a refund if applicable. Cash bail is held on a case until the case is adjudicated or otherwise ordered by the judge. The disposition of the cash bail posted is up to the court and a refund of the cash bail is not a guarantee. If the defendant fails to appear, and the cash bail is under $500, the cash bail will be applied to your outstanding balance and the surplus refunded. If the defendant fails to appear, and the cash bail posted is over $500, you will be notified that the bail will be held for 180 days and then forfeited unless the defendant appears before a judge within that time period.
  • What are the court filing fees?

Call 311 to find resources, ask questions, and utilize Washoe County services. Learn More »
Call 311 to find resources, ask questions, and utilize Washoe County services. Learn More »