Why License my Dog?
It is required by law for your dog, if over the age of four months and residing in the congested areas of Washoe County, to be licensed with Washoe County Regional Animal Services? Failure to license your dog may result in a $100 to $400 fine.
Washoe County Regional Animal Services has partnered with DocuPet to provide an enhanced pet licensing experience for residents. Your pet’s license now includes DocuPet’s free HomeSafeTM 24/7 lost pet service and designer license tags with personalization options. Additionally, 20% of every product sale (designer tags, collars and leashes) is donated to Washoe County Regional Animal Services through DocuPet’s Safe&Happy Fund.
When you register your pet in Washoe County, you will receive a unique license ID tag to attach to their collar. Our new licensing process with DocuPet allows residents to select a standard license tag at no additional charge or upgrade to one of DocuPet’s colorful designer tag styles for $15. Each DocuPet tag, standard or designer, doubles as a pet’s official Washoe County license.
The new, easy-to-use online licensing service provides a quick and seamless way to license your pet from the comfort of your own home. Licensing fees stay at WCRAS to help care for the thousands of pets brought to the shelter each year as well as provide funding for outreach programs to benefit the community. Washoe County code allows for five dogs over four months of age per residence. If you have more than five dogs, go to our Variance Permit page for more information.
Benefits of Licensing
Not only does a dog license provide proof of ownership, it also helps get your dog reunited with you if they ever become lost. Every year hundreds of dogs are reunited with their owners because they were licensed. License fees also help fund local animal welfare initiatives in the community. In addition to your pet’s license, here are some benefits of your DocuPet online profile:
- Hundreds of unique and colorful designer tag styles to choose from or design your own tag style online
- With full access to HomeSafeTM 24/7 lost pet service, upload recent photos of your pet and include important information that will help identify and retrieve them if they become lost
- Gain access to exclusive promotions and discounts
- Add additional pet guardians to your pet's profile
- Skip the trip and easily purchase or renew your pet's license from the comfort of home
- Upload important new documents for your pet by snapping a photo
- Make an optional donation to Washoe County Regional Animal Services via DocuPet’s Safe&Happy Fund and help support local animals in need
- Easily view and download your pet’s license documentation
- Read up on exclusive pet-focused content
- Manage, or make changes to your account at anytime including updating your contact information and making changes to pet details and status
- View your order status and history
A rabies vaccination certificate is required to receive a license.
Rabies certificates can be submitted online at the time of licensing.
You can submit a rabies certificate:
- Online through our licensing partner DocuPet washoe.docupet.com
- By Email at firstname.lastname@example.org (.jpg of .pdf files are acceptable)
- By mail to
East Syracuse NY 13057 15 Technology Place, Suite 1
- By coming into the shelter at 2825 Longley Ln. Ste A, during business hours
Online: Licensing online through our new licensing partner DocuPet is the fastest, easiest way to license your dog. License now by going to washoe.docupet.com
At the Shelter:
15 Technology Place, Suite 1
East Syracuse NY 13057
You will need to provide proof of current rabies vaccination and pay the applicable fee from the list below.
Annual license fee:
- Unaltered dog: $20.00
- Altered dog: $8.00 (spayed or neutered)
- Senior citizen with an unaltered dog: $8.00 (60 years old or older)
*Designer license tags and tag customized engraving are available for an additional cost.
Front desk phone: 775-353-8900 Monday through Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm (excluding holidays)
Shelter address: 2825 Longley Ln. Ste. A, Reno, NV 89502
Mailing address: 2825 Longley Ln. Ste. A, Reno, NV 89502
VARIANCE PERMITS- PLEASE DO NOT USE THE ONLINE SERVICE, ALL PERMITS MUST BE DONE AT THE SHELTER OFFICE OR SENT IN BY MAIL AFTER ONE OF OUR OFFICERS DOES A YEARLY INSPECTION