Partners and Services
AARP is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization, with a membership of more than 37 million, that helps people turn their goals and dreams into real possibilities, strengthens communities and fights for the issues that matter most to families such as healthcare, employment security and retirement planning.
Please call the AARP desk at WCSS: 775-328-2606 or visit http://local.aarp.org/reno-nv
Community Health Nurse:
Washoe County community nurse provides seniors with education on health and wellness focusing on disease prevention. Blood pressure clinics and health education are offered at many of the Washoe County Senior Services congregate meal sites; please refer to the Activity Calendars for dates, times and locations.
Clinics' schedules subject to change based on weather, holidays, and/or low participation. Please call Washoe County Senior Services for additional information: 775-328-2575
A branch of the Washoe County Library is located at Washoe County Senior Services.
Music, movies and books are available for browsing and checkout. Helpful staff will assist you with locating materials and answering your information questions. Apply for a library card, pick up items placed on hold, read the daily newspaper, use a public Internet access computer and printer, and get help with downloading books and audio books.
The Library is open Monday through Friday, 9:00 am – 1:00 pm. For more information, call 775-328-2586
Northern Nevada Legal Aid:
The Washoe Legal Services Center for Seniors and the Law (Senior Legal Center) is a partnership between the Washoe County Human Services Agency, the Nevada Department of Health & Human Services Aging and Disability Services Division, and Northern Nevada Legal Aid, a 501(c)(3) non-profit legal aid organization. The Senior Legal Center offers legal assistance to Washoe County residents who are at least 60 years of age. The Senior Legal Center staff are Northern Nevada Legal Aid employees. They can assist with any civil legal matter, but primarily focus on the following:
- Government benefits including Medicare, Medicaid and other health related issues;
- Administration and probate of small estates;
- Elder abuse and exploitation;
- Consumer issues such as enforcement of state and federal laws related to debt collection, fraud, deceptive trade practices, etc.;
- Housing issues including foreclosures, loss of subsidized housing, fair housing rights violations, and evictions;
- Immigration issues.
Please contact Northern Nevada Legal Aid at: 775-329-2727 or www.nnlegalaid.org for more information.
Medicare Assistance Program (MAP):
MAP provides information, counseling and assistance to Medicare Beneficiaries in Nevada involving a statewide network of volunteers.
MAP Volunteers offer FREE one-on-one assistance and counseling with respect to many problems seniors encounter regarding Medicare, supplemental health insurance and long-term care options.
Are you prepared? Are you eligible for extra assistance? Do you need it? What is it? Do you have other questions? Don't wait! Contact MAP now!
MAP volunteers are also available at Washoe County Senior Center, please call: 775-328-2573 or toll-free statewide counseling number 1-800-307-4444.
Are you in need of trasportation to appointments and other locations? The following agencies provide transportation or transportation assistance. Please contact them for additional information:Sherri Rice, CEO
Access to Healthcare Network
Amy Dewitt-Smith, Executive Director
Neighbor Network of Northern Nevada
Mary Brock, MJM, Executive Director
Seniors in Service
Annie Monnig-Reid, Program Director
Senior Outreach Services
Sanford Center for Aging
RTC also has several programs that may be suitable for seniors:
- Washoe Senior Ride program is a subsidized taxi program available to Washoe County residents 60 years of age and older - https://www.rtcwashoe.com/public-transportation/washoe-senior-ride/.
- RTC Washoe-UBER Rides Pilot Program. For more information visit https://www.rtcwashoe.com/rtc-washoe-uber-rides-pilot-program/.
- RTC Customer Service line is 775-348-7433 to refer folks to RTC for additional transportation options such as FlexRIDE, RTC RIDE and RTC ACCESS