Washoe County New Employee Benefits
Eligibility and Enrollment
Benefit Enrollment Timeline (printable version)
WHO IS ELIGIBLE
If you are a full or part-time (21 hours or more per week) employee, you and your dependents are eligible for benefits on your 91st day of employment.
Eligible dependents include:
- Your legal spouse or domestic partner. If covering a domestic partner, you must provide the State of Nevada's Declaration of Domestic Partnership.
- Your children to age 26, including stepchildren, legally-adopted children, children placed with you for adoption, and children of your domestic partner.
- Your dependent children of any age who are incapable of supporting themselves due to physical or mental disability (documentation will be required).
WHEN TO ENROLL
- Within 90 days of joining Washoe County as a new employee.
- During the annual benefits open enrollment period.
- Within 30 days of a qualifying life event.
If you do not enroll your dependents during the initial enrollment period (within 90 days of employment), you will not be able to elect coverage for them until the next annual open enrollment period or if you experience a qualifying life event.
Follow these steps to enroll in benefits (must be completed within the first 90 days of employment):
- Log into ESS and select the Life and Work Events tab.
- Select the New Hire Instructions link and follow the steps.
- Enter family member/dependent information (name, date of birth, Social Security number, address, etc.)
- Add dependents to your health insurance coverage, if applicable.
- Add life insurance beneficiary(ies) for the Washoe County provided life insurance benefit.
- Enter employee Health Savings Account contribution (voluntary).
ESS New Hire Instructions (printable version)
ADDING OR REMOVING A DEPENDENT
Due to IRS regulations, you cannot add/delete a dependent until the next annual open enrollment period. The only exception is if you experience a qualifying life event. Dependent election changes must be consistent with your life event.
Qualifying life events include:
- Marriage or divorce
- Birth or adoption of an eligible child
- Death of your spouse or covered child
- Change in your spouse's work status that affects his or her benefits
- Change in your child's eligibility for benefits
- Qualified Medical Child Support Order
To submit a request for a qualifying life event, log into ESS and select the Life and Work Event tab and follow the steps. Proof of the life event will be required; for example, marriage certificate, divorce decree or birth confirmation. Email documentation to Health Benefits at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Qualifying Life and Work Event Timeline (printable version)
Questions? Call 775-328-2081 or email HRemail@example.com.