Short Term Rental Public Meetings
Short-Term Rental Ordinance Language Progression
The proposed Development Code Amendment WDCA22-0001 (Article 319 Short-Term Rentals) includes the following provisions:
(1) Change the requirements for processing a tier 3 STR application from an administrative permit approved by the Board of Adjustment to a special use permit approved by the Planning Commission;
(2) Exclude overflow parking spaces in condominium or multi-family complexes in the calculation of required parking spaces;
(3) Require the STR property owner(s)’ notarized certification to include an attestation that the subject STR property is covered by insurance that provides for a minimum of $500,000 liability coverage per occurrence;
(4) Repeal the requirement to submit a certificate of insurance;
(5) Provide that a bear box is required in the Incline Village General Improvement District’s service territory following two confirmed trash violations;
(6) Modify the maximum occupancy calculation from one occupant for every 200 square feet of habitable space to two (2) occupants for each legally permitted bedroom, with the remainder of the home (excluding bedrooms) calculated as one occupant for every 200 square feet of habitable space
Public Meeting Progress
Washoe County Board of County Commissioners (BCC) Meeting - May 10, 2022
Tentative date for second reading and possible adoption.
Washoe County Board of County Commissioners (BCC) Meeting - April 12, 2022
Introduction and first reading of the proposed ordinance. CLICK HERE to view a copy of the ordinance text. Commissioner Lucey introduced Bill #1876, which is scheduled for second reading and possible adoption on May 10, 2022.
Planning Commission (PC) Meeting - March 1, 2022
The Planning Commission voted unanimously to recommend approval of WDCA22-0001, the Chair signed Resolution 22-05 and the item was sent to the BCC for introduction and first reading on April 12, 2022.
Washoe County Board of County Commissioners (BCC) Meeting - January 25, 2022
Washoe County Planning Staff provided a presentation on Short Term Rentals to the BCC, which included an overview of the programming, compliance status and suggested revisions for the future.
Recording Available from October 19, 2021 Community Meeting
Washoe County staff held a Zoom Community Meeting on October 19, 2021, from 5:00pm - 6:30pm, to solicit input on the recently adopted STR Ordinance permit process and regulations.
If you could not attend the meeting, CLICK HERE to watch the recording. CLICK HERE to view the PowerPoint Presentation. Please email any comments to: STR@washoecounty.gov
CAB and BCC Meetings
Washoe County held three public workshops in August 2019 regarding short-term rentals. Two workshops were held in Incline Village and all workshops followed a similar format intended to gather feedback on concerns, possible solutions, and opportunities associated with establishing standards and a permitting process. An online survey was also available until early September for those unable to attend the public workshops or those who wished to provide expanded comments.
Survey and workshop topics included: short-term rental permitting requirements; Incline-specific concerns; fire and guest safety; and possible impacts to quality of life such as parking, trash, or noise. Public input from the survey and workshops has been used to assist County staff in their efforts to establish simple, fair and enforceable standards for short-term rentals.