File a Complaint

How To File A Short Term Rental Complaint

Short Term Rental complaints must be filed online or through the hotline phone number provided below.  Once a complaint is filed, a local responsible party for the short term rental property will be contacted and the appropriate enforcement agency will be notified (Washoe County Sheriff's Office, Washoe County Code Enforcement, Fire Protection District, Environmental Health Services).

Contact Local Authorities In Addition To Washoe County Code Enforcement

Please contact your local authorities as a first step to resolve general nuisance complaints such as unauthorized street parking, disturbing the peace/noise, and improper trash practices (contact the Washoe County Sheriff's Office for disturbing the peace/noise and street parking, and in the Tahoe basin, IVGID for trash and/or bear concerns). Please note that Washoe County Code Enforcement staff has a regular work schedule of Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and is not available on weekends to respond to complaints.  Please file complaints on-line through the link provided below or by calling the hotline phone number.  A local responsible party will be contacted regarding your complaint and Washoe County Code Enforcement will also be notified.

Click here to view Short Term Rental Penalties and Fines

Disturbing the Peace/Noise & Street Parking
Washoe County Sheriff's Office - Non-Emergency Contact

Incline Village / Crystal Bay - (775) 785-9276
Truckee Meadows - (775) 328-3001, opt. 7

Trash & Bears
Bear Smart Program Website

Fire-Related Concerns
North Lake Tahoe Fire Protection District (NLTFPD) - (775) 831-0571

Truckee Meadows Fire Protection Distrct (TMFPD) - (775) 326-6000

Complaint Evidence and Witness Statements

Code Enforcement Officers are not in the field 24 hours a day.  Pursuant to Washoe County Code proof of certain STR nuisances and possible violations may be required from the complainant for a complaint to move forward with the Administrative Enforcement process.

Download Witness Statement --> CLICK HERE

Additional evidence and witness statements from the public may be required for the following STR concerns:

  • Parking
  • Noise 
  • Over-occupancy / Parties
  • Trash

Evidence Requirements:

  • Photos must be date and timestamped
  • Complainant must sign a Witness Statement
  • Complainant must be present during an Administrative Hearing if an STR violation case is appealed by the property owner

Washoe County Code CH. 125.160.9
The administrative penalty notice may be issued by peace officer or enforcement official based upon a written and signed statement of a complaining party. Any photographic, audio, or video evidence submitted by the complaining party as part of the written and signed statement shall be time and date stamped, and the location from which the evidence was collected shall be attested to by the complaining party. In such a case, the complaining party must appear at any hearing subsequently scheduled pursuant to this chapter to testify. If the complaining party does not appear at the hearing in the case, the administrative penalty notice will be dismissed and the respondent released from liability.

File a Complaint Online

Click HERE to submit a complaint online through Host Compliance. A local responsible party and enforcement agency will be notified of your complaint. Learn More »
Call in a Complaint

Call in a Complaint

Dial (775) 277 - 6701

Please follow the automated instructions.  You WILL speak with a live representative at the end of your call.  Be sure to have the property address and unit number available BEFORE you call in your complaint.