Recorder's Office

Functions of the County Recorder's Office

General Information

The County Recorder's Office records a variety of documents and maps, and maintains indexes to the records. The office permanently preserves the records, provides access to them for public viewing, and produces copies. Examples of documents recorded in the Recorder's Office include:

  • Real Property Records (deeds, leases, notices of completion, etc.)
  • Financing Documents (deeds of trust, notices of default, reconveyances, Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) financing statement, etc.)
  • Maps (subdivision, parcel maps, surveys, land divisions)
  • Unpatented Mining Claim Records (notices, certificates of location, mining maps, proofs of labor)
  • Military Discharge Papers, Declarations of Homestead, Mechanic's Liens, Federal Tax Liens, Marriage Certificates

Recorded documents are imaged as a permanent record and the original document is returned to the customer after processing.

Searching Records

You may search our recorded real estate documents on-line, from November 1991 to current, using the records search link. Images are available from August 16, 1999 to current. All recorded documents are indexed by the names of the principle parties and by the year recorded. To locate a document, the name of at least one party and the approximate year of recording are necessary. Indexing information prior to November 1991 is available in book format or microfiche format. A cumulative map index including subdivisions, parcel maps, surveys, land divisions, and corner records is available. There is no charge for customers to search the indexes or to view the documents.

Real Property Transfer Tax

Per NRS 375, Real Property Transfer Tax (RPTT) is collected when an interest in real property is conveyed. Documents transferring title must be accompanied by a completed Declaration of Value form. RPTT is collected by the County Recorder at the time of recording. The rate in Washoe County is $2.05 for each $500 of value or fraction thereof. For questions about RPTT, please call our Property Transfer Compliance Recorder at (775) 328-3661.

Call 311 to find resources, ask questions, and utilize Washoe County services. Learn More »
Call 311 to find resources, ask questions, and utilize Washoe County services. Learn More »