Clerk's Office

New Passport Adult or Minor 16+


New passport Applications for Adults and Minors over the age of 16 must include the following items:

1. Completed (but not signed) Passport Application Form (DS-11). [Download Form]

The application must be completed in black ink. Please do not use corrective tape or fluid to correct errors on the form. If you make a mistake, draw a single line through the error and make your correction. Forms must be printed single sided and should not be cropped. 

2. Proof of United States Citizenship or Nationality

If you were born in the United States you must submit:

  • Certified original birth certificate - birth certificates must contain the name of the parent(s), or
  • Previous U.S. Passport

NOTICE: California abstract birth certificates, hospital birth certificates, or birth certificates that do not list birth parent's name(s) are not accepted.

If you were born in a foreign country you must submit:

  • Original certificate of naturalization or citizenship, or
  • Previous U.S. passport, or
  • Proof of derivative citizenship.

*All citizenship documents will be sent directly to the U.S. Department of State with your passport application. They will be returned when the passport has been issued.

3. Proof of Identity

  • Current driver's license, or
  • Recently issued certificate of naturalization, or
  • Recently issued government ID card.

Notice: If your driver's license is not "Real ID" compliant, or states "NOT FOR FEDERAL OFFICIAL USE", you will be required to provide additional secondary identification.

4. Photograph - One 2" x 2" square photo, full faced with white plain or off-white background, no glasses.

Passport photos are available at Washoe County Clerk's Office for $15.

5. Passport Fees - The State Department portion of the passport fee must be paid by check or money order only. The Washoe County Clerk's Office fee can be paid money order, cash, or credit card (Visa/MC/Discover) Please visit our Passport Fees page for more information.

For minors 16 & 17 years of age - If you possess acceptable proof of identity, at least one parent or guardian should be present to sign and present ID. If you do not possess acceptable proof of identify, both parents must be present to sign and present ID.

Call 311 to find resources, ask questions, and utilize Washoe County services. Learn More »
Call 311 to find resources, ask questions, and utilize Washoe County services. Learn More »