Burial and Cremation

The Human Services Agency provides payment for cremation or burial costs for a deceased indigent person. In order to qualify for assistance individuals must be a Washoe County resident or a non-Nevada resident who fell ill and died within Washoe County, and meet all other financial and non-financial requirements for their household size.

Responsible relatives, as defined by the Nevada Revised Statues 428.070, whose income and/or assets exceed the limits established for their household size may be determined eligible for assistance and required to reimburse Washoe County for the costs of cremation/burial expenditure.

Referrals can be made by Funeral Homes, the Public Administrator, the Coroner, relatives or friends of the deceased by calling the Human Services Agency at 775-337-4426.