How do I get a lawyer?

If you have been charged with a crime and are facing the potential of a jail sentence, you may apply for legal representation if you cannot afford to hire a lawyer. At the time of your first appearance before the Judge, let the Judge know that you would like an attorney to be appointed to represent you. You will have to meet with an employee of Court Services, who will make the determination on whether or not you qualify.

If you are a parent and Child Protective Services or the Washoe County Human Services Department have removed your children, placing them in the care and custody of Washoe County, you may apply for the legal representation as well.  You must make the request at the Family Court located at One S. Sierra Street, on the second floor, to begin the application process.