COVID – Relief Housing Assistance Program


What is the Emergency Rental Assistance Program (CHAP)?

The Emergency Rental Assistance Program, also known as CHAP, provides short-term rental assistance and is intended to assist Nevadans impacted by COVID-19 who are struggling to pay rent and utilities.  These funds are available in Washoe County and are specifically designated to assist with the payment of rent, utilities, and late fees.  Upon verification of eligibility, assistance with rent and utilities may be provided for up to twelve months.

Who Qualifies?

Any Washoe County resident experiencing a negative financial impact due to COVID-19 which has impacted the ability to pay rent, is at risk of homelessness or experiencing housing instability and has a household income at or below 80% of the Area Median Income (AMI).

Examples of COVID-19 related income loss may include a reduction in work hours, loss of employment, furlough from employment during Stay-at-Home order or reduction in salary due to reduced business income.

Preference will be given to households with income at or below 50% of the AMI as well as households with at least one adult member unemployed for more than 90 days.



Family Size

50% AMI

80% AMI


























What costs can the program assist with?

Delinquent rent or utilities beginning no earlier than March 13, 2020 due to a loss of income directly or indirectly related to COVID-19 and ongoing rental assistance, not to exceed twelve months in total.

Are you eligible?

  • Do you currently reside in Reno, Sparks or unincorporated Washoe County?
  • Have you lost or had a reduction in income due, directly or indirectly, to COVID-19 that has resulted in you struggling to pay rent? OR has a member of your household been unemployed for 90 or more days as a result of COVID-19?
  • Can you demonstrate or attest to a risk of homelessness or housing instability if assistance is not provided?
  • Is your current household income at or below 80% AMI?

If you answered “yes” to all of these questions, you may qualify for assistance. 

How the program works?

Once you have submitted your online application at, you will receive a letter and an RHA CHAP Welcome Packet in the mail asking you to provide documentation to support your application.

The RHA CHAP Welcome Packet includes a list of documents and copies of the forms required to determine eligibility.

Once the RHA has received all of the documents and forms needed to determine your eligibility, you will receive notification in the mail.

Once approved, the RHA will pay past due rent and/or utilities directly to your landlord or utility provider for qualifying months. Prospective rent may be paid based on need.

Priority for Assistance

Priority will be given to applicants whose income is at or below 50% of the Washoe County area median income (AMI). Priority will also be given to households in which at least one adult member has been unemployed for the 90 days prior to application.

At the time of application, applicants will be informed of priority criteria and asked if their current income falls below 50% AMI and /or if an adult household member has been employed for more than 90 days. Applicants that answer yes to either of these two questions will be given points placing them higher on the waitlist. Applicants must provide proof that the priority applies before the file will be referred for payment. If the applicant cannot provide proof that they meet either of these priorities, the points will be removed, and they will be returned to the waitlist.

Washoe County Human Services Agency Families, Seniors and Adults: Applicants that are working with Washoe County Human Services Agency that are in jeopardy of having their children removed due to inadequate housing as well as Adults and/or Seniors who are experiencing housing instability will be given immediate priority, contingent upon meeting the required eligibility. Reno Housing Authority staff will be working directly with the Human Services case worker to ensure seamless coordination for those in need of housing stability.


Frequently Asked Questions:

I used my savings to pay my rent, can I receive assistance to reimburse me?

Unfortunately, assistance cannot be paid to reimburse for rent or utilities already paid.

My landlord and I already worked out a repayment plan.  Do I qualify?

If you have already entered into a repayment agreement with your landlord, you may still qualify. 

Do I have to have been issued an eviction notice for non-payment of rent to quality?

You do not need to have been issued a notice for non-payment of rent to qualify. 

Do I have to be delinquent in rent to qualify?

                You do not need to be delinquent in rent to qualify for assistance.

How do I apply?

All applications are taken online at  Click on the CHAP tab at the top of the homepage to apply.  Please do not submit more than one application as this will slow the housing authority’s ability to process your application. 

What if I am having difficulty applying online?

If you do not have access to the technology to apply online, you can call (775) 329-3630 ext. 210 and leave a message to request assistance.  Someone will return your call within 72 hours.

If you are attempting to apply online and receive an error message, please send an email to describing the issue you are having, and someone will get back to you to assist. 

How long does the process take after I submit my application?

You will receive a Welcome Packet in the mail within 10 days of RHA receiving your application.  The packet includes a list of forms and documents RHA must receive to determine your eligibility.  The sooner the RHA receives all requested documents, the sooner you will receive an eligibility determination.