In order to maintain a reasonable number of vacant kennels, while maintaining capacity for care, the following guidelines will be implemented when 70% capacity is reached for either species, dog or cat.
DOGS 70% Capacity (or 77 kennels occupied) 77/110
CATS 70% Capacity (or 53 condos occupied) 53/76
When cat or dog kennels at Animal Services reach 70% full the following protocols will go into effect and may remain in effect until capacity improves:
- When possible, allow public to hold found pets for up to 48 hours while searching for owner
- Encourage use of microchip stations to help reunite pets before coming to the shelter
- Encourage community to adopt, foster, volunteer, or donate to local adoption and animal care agencies
- Additional communication to owners to pick up pets from the shelter as soon as possible
- Phone call, text messages, emails.
- Social media messaging