How to Apply
Stalking and Harassment - How to Apply
A consistent pattern of stalking and/or harassment over a period of time must be alleged for the Order to be granted. Reno Justice Court's jurisdiction includes Reno Township. The stalking and harassing must have taken place within Reno Township for you to apply for the Order in Reno Justice Court.
- You must personally appear at Reno Justice Court to fill out the Petition for Harassment and Stalking. You cannot send a friend or family member to do this for you.
- The Petition must be completed and given to the clerk before it can be submitted to the judge for the Order. The Petition has to be returned to the court and submitted to the judge for a Temporary Order before the Temporary Order may be issued. The Petition itself is NOT a legal order until the judge enters a Temporary Order.
- The clerk will contact you when the Temporary Order has been granted by the judge. You will be advised of the court date, which will be within 30 days, and when you must appear in court.
- After picking up your orders at the court, you MUST have the Temporary Order served upon Respondent by the Washoe County Sheriff's Department or a Licensed Process Server. The Temporary Order is not valid until served upon the Respondent.
- On the court date, the judge will determine if an Extended Order should be granted. If it is granted, the Temporary Order becomes an Extended Order and is in effect for a period of up to one year.
- You will receive FOUR (4) copies of either the Temporary or Extended Order. The process server will require TWO (2) copies. The other TWO (2) copies should be retained by you in case the Order is violated and law enforcement personnel need to respond. Law enforcement personnel will need to see a copy of the Order and the proof of service before they will act upon an alleged violation of the Order. You should place one copy of the Order at any location where this may occur. You should also keep one copy of the order with you at all times.
- Stalking and Harassment Forms
- Stalking and Harassment Fees