Someone gave me their pet and it is microchipped. How do I transfer ownership?

WCRAS database will track the pet information locally and, in order to update the owner information, the previous owner of the pet needs to complete a transfer of ownership form. The new owner will then need to contact WCRAS to update the local registry. If the new pet is a dog and the new owner lives in a congested area, a dog license will need to be purchased. Licenses do not transfer from one owner to another.

In order to update the national registry for a microchip, contact the microchip company for instructions on updating the transfer of ownership.  If you do not know what microchip company, click here and enter the microchip number to discover the microchip company.

If you are unsure if your animal is microchipped or what the microchip number is you can come to Animal Services Monday-Friday between 8-5 and we can scan the pet to get the number.