- Lost and Found
- Spay and Neuter
- Field Services
- Donate to WCRAS
- How do I find my missing pet?
- Is it against the law for my dog to bark?
- Can I adopt a pet from WCRAS?
- What happens with my pet's rabies information?
- How much does it cost to get my pet out of the shelter?
- What happens if a pet is not claimed by its owner?
- Is there a leash law in Washoe County?
- Where can I take my dog off leash to run?
- Can I have livestock or chickens in the city limits?
- What can I do about my neighbor's dog that is always loose?
- Does WCRAS euthanize animals upon request of the owner?
- At what temperature is it ok to leave my pet in the car?
- Someone gave me their pet and it is microchipped. How do I transfer ownership?
- Do I need to leash my dog on BLM land?
- How many pets can a person have?
- What can I do about the smell of feces from my neighbor’s yard?
- What can I do about all the feral cats living in my neighborhood?
- Is it ok to tether a dog up outside? If so, for how long?
- What happens when a dog or cat bites someone?
- What is Quarantine?
- What happens if a wild animal bites a person or a pet?
- What is the difference between a dog license and the tag I get at the vet or elsewhere?
- Why do I need a license for my dog?
- What is a microchip and how do they work?
- Can I get my pet spayed/neutered at WCRAS?
- What is Parvo and how do I prevent my dog from getting it?
- I don’t have money and my animal is sick, what can WCRAS do for me?
- Can you come pick up my pet?
- What can I do about local wildlife?
- What can I do about pigeons roosting and defecating on my property?
- Can WCRAS help with wild horse issues?
- I can’t get through to the Nevada Humane Society/SPCA, can WCRAS help me?
- How can I contact someone from WCRAS?
- Can I bury my deceased pet on my property?
- How do I update information for my licensed/microchipped pet?
- How do I license my dog?
- How do I submit a picture of my pet for the license or microchip?
- Can I register my pet's microchip with WCRAS?
- My dog never leaves the house. Do I still need to license?
- Does my cat need to be licensed?
- Does Washoe County require my service dog to be licensed?
- Problem with snakes?
- News and Events
- Regional Animal Services
- Who We Are
- How Are We Doing?
- Advisory Board
Why do I need a license for my dog?
It is required by Washoe County Code 55.340. Failure to have a current dog license may result in a civil fine from $100 - $400 and/or a criminal citation. Dog license revenue helps to provide care and housing for Washoe County pets as well as special community programs that help local pets. You can license here.