General and Home Based Business Licenses

This page provides information on how to apply for Washoe County general and home-based business licenses.  You can apply for these licenses with the ONE Regional Licensing and Permits Portal, which is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  You can also mail your complete application, with fees, to our mailing address.  Learn how to use the regional portal and register for a customer account.

Common Questions about Business Licensing

Application and Fees
Application and Instructions
Home-based Business License Application (supplemental forms)
Nevada State Industrial Insurance Compliance Form
Business License Fees (all types)
Master Business License Fee Schedule
Business License Change Form  Use this form for changes to:

  • Mailing Address
  • Business Location
  • Officers or Licensee
  • Business Name
  • Entity
  • Business Closed or Sold

Information for specific business license types
Potential Locations for Adult Characterized Businesses
Explosives and Hazardous Substances

Washoe County business license codes
Chapter 25 - Business Licenses, Permits, and Regulations

Required Documentation
You must provide copies of all required documentation with your business license application.  Documents must be attached as part of your on-line application or provided with the application, if mailed.

Fictitious Firm Name
If you are using a business name other than your own first and last name you will need to file a Fictitious Firm Name (DBA) certificate with the Washoe County Clerk at 1001 E. 9th Street, Building A, 1st Floor in Reno and include a copy of the filed certificate with your business license application.  A Fictitious Firm Name certificate will also be required for corporations doing business under a name different from the corporation name.

Required documents from the State of Nevada

State Business Registration
All Washoe County business license applicants need to register with the Nevada Secretary of State for a state business registration.  Their applications are on-line at  You may also register with them in person at their office located at 202 North Carson Street, Carson City.  Their phone number is 775.684.5708.

Articles of Incorporation
If you are incorporated through the State of Nevada, we will need a copy of your Articles of Incorporation and a current list of officers.

You will need to obtain a proof of registration (clearance letter) with the Nevada Department of Taxation.  You may complete the sales and use tax permit registration on-line at  You may also complete the registration in person at their office located at 4600 Kietzke Lane, Building L, Suite 235, Reno.

Workers' Compensation
All businesses that have employees must obtain workers' compensation from the insurance company of their choice.  You must provide an affidavit of compliance or the completed State Industrial Insurance Compliance form even if you have no employees.  You may obtain an affidavit of compliance or the form on-line at

Other Licenses
Some businesses require additional licensing and we will need proof that you have obtained these licenses.  For example, a license from the State Board of Medical Examiners is required to practice medicine and must be obtained before a business license can be issued.  If you're not sure, please contact or business license office to determine if additional licensure is required.

Entrepreneurial assistance
Entrepreneurial assistance is available from the Nevada Small Business Development Center.  To learn about the services they offer, visit their web site at

Washoe County Business License Contact:

Apply on-line at the ONE Regional Licensing and Permits Portal

Mail your completed application to:
Washoe County Business License
1001 E. Ninth Street
Reno, NV 89512

Business License Phone:  775.328.3733
Fax:  775.328.6133

Business Hours:  Appointments, Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Appointments can be made for virtual, in-person, or phone call. 

Call 311 to find resources, ask questions, and utilize Washoe County services. Learn More »
Call 311 to find resources, ask questions, and utilize Washoe County services. Learn More »