Washoe County is Seeking Applicants to Serve on the Washoe County Board of Adjustment
Vacancy is to Represent Commission District 4 on the Board of Adjustment

The Board of Adjustment hears and decides on applications for land use issues (e.g., Special Use Permits, Variances, Administrative Permits and certain types of Appeals).  This appointment is to fill a full term in the unincorporated portion of Washoe County Commission District 4 commencing on July 1, 2021 through June 30, 2025.  Unincorporated District 4 generally includes the Spanish Springs Valley area, a portion of the Warm Springs Valley area (aka Palomino Valley), east Truckee Canyon (from Sparks to Wadsworth), and the Wadsworth area.

Membership Requirements

Applicants for the Board of Adjustment must be residents of unincorporated Washoe County and the area from which they are to be appointed (District 4) as described above and per map available at this link: Map of Commissioner Districts  They must also be registered voters.  The voter registration requirement may be waived by the Washoe County Board of Commissioners.  The Board of Adjustment regularly meets the first Thursday of each month at 1:30 p.m. via ZOOM.  As COVID regulations evolve, it is possible that the Board will resume in-person meetings in the Washoe County Commission Chambers.  Meetings average 3 to 4 hours in duration.  At times, special meetings of the Board may be called by the Chair.  Each member of the Board of Adjustment is compensated $80 per meeting attended.

More information & To Apply

To apply online, please go to the “Board & Commission Openings” page of the Washoe County website:  and click on the Board of Adjustment announcement.  You can also obtain an application from Kathy Emerson 775-328-3615, .  Please note that when you submit your application it becomes part of the public record and is available for public review (personal information will be redacted).

Staff Contact:  Kathy Emerson 775-328-3615,


Deadline to Apply:  Friday, April 23, 2021, 5:00 p.m. 

Call 311 to find resources, ask questions, and utilize Washoe County services. Learn More »
Call 311 to find resources, ask questions, and utilize Washoe County services. Learn More »