Youth Information

WORK PERMITS: Information regarding juvenile work permits can be located in NRS 609.  If your child's employer requires a Juvenile Work Permit, please contact the Second Judicial District Court, Family Self Help Center at 775-325-6731.
RELEASE OF RECORDS:  The Department of Juvenile Services may release copies of juvenile court documents or other juvenile file documents without a court order. To request records, you must be at least 18 years of age to file a request. The release of some documents may require a petition to the Second Judicial District Court - Family Court.  Any other legitimate party of interest,18 years of age or older, may also make a request. A Petition Form and Court Order must be completed - please note that the Petition must be signed in the presence of a Notary, which are available at Jan Evans Juvenile Justice Center.
If you need a list your referrals to our Department, including dates of offenses, action taken, and status of your case(s) (called a Legal History), please complete a Legal History Release Form. Please note that the Legal History Release form must be signed in the presence of a Notary, which are available at Jan Evans Juvenile Justice Center.  The Director will review the request, and if they determine that the request meets legal criteria for release, the form will be signed, and the Legal History will be prepared for mail, fax or pick up.  Legal Histories are usually adequate for enlistment in the military, enrollment in certain college and educational programs, and employment. Any other legally qualified party of interest, 18 years of age or older, may also make this request per NRS 62H.025. 
SEALING OF RECORDS:  While you are a juvenile your record is active and available to the Department. However, most juvenile records are confidential and cannot be accessed by others. Juvenile records can be sealed under certain circumstances. If you would like further information please see the Washoe County Public Defender's Office.
EMANCIPATION:  Emancipation is the process in which a minor, under the age of 18 is legally declared an adult by a judge. For more information visit our FAQ's on Emancipation and NRS 129.010