Washoe County Health District's Influenza Surveillance Program
The Washoe County Health District's influenza surveillance program is conducted year round. Goals of the program are to characterize the prevailing strains of influenza in the community, to measure the impact of the disease in the community, and to obtain and disseminate information regarding influenza activity to health care providers, the public, and those concerned with influenza control measures.
The influenza surveillance program consists of four major components:
- Weekly reports of influenza-like illness (ILI) to the Communicable Disease Program by selected sentinel healthcare providers. The case definition for ILI is a fever >100°F AND cough and/or sore throat (in the absence of a known cause). A patient with fever, chills, body aches, and nasal congestion but no cough or sore throat is not considered a case of ILI. Sentinel providers include hospital emergency rooms, urgent cares, and a student health center.
- The collection of a limited number of specimens by sentinel health care providers from persons with ILI. The purpose of the laboratory confirmation is to verify which type(s) of influenza virus is in the community.
- Monitoring of influenza and pneumonia mortality through death certificates.
- Routine reporting of confirmed cases of influenza by all healthcare providers and laboratories. Influenza is a reportable condition in Nevada. Suspected or confirmed outbreaks of influenza are also reportable.
Influenza reports are produced by Washoe County Health District every week during influenza season. This webpage is updated weekly during influenza season to include the newest influenza report. Reports from prior seasons are also maintained on this webpage.
Washoe County Flu Statistics
See how many people in Washoe County have been vaccinated, plus a breakdown by several demographics, by going to this dashboard.The dashboard is run by the Department of Health and Human Services Nevada Division of Public and Behavioral Health (DPBH).
For general information about influenza and influenza vaccination, visit Flu Season Information.
U.S. Weekly Influenza Reports, Current Week
Washoe County Weekly Influenza Reports, Current Season
Influenza Reports from Past Seasons
- 2020-2021 ILI Season Summary
- Weekly Influenza Reports 2019/2020
- Overview of Hospitalization and Death Data for 2017/2018
- Influenza Season Summary Report 2017/2018
- Weekly Influenza Reports 2018/2019
- Weekly Influenza Reports 2017/2018
- Weekly Influenza Report 2016/2017
- Weekly Influenza Reports 2015/2016
Last modified on 10/22/2021