The Vector-Borne Disease Prevention Program recognizes the importance of minimizing the impacts of biting mosquitos throughout the community. Mosquito activity can significantly impact the quality of life of our residents and impair local businesses. One of the program`s primary goals is to stop mosquitos while they are still in the larval stage, before they reach adulthood and are capable of biting our citizens.
The Program utilizes an integrated approach for mosquito abatement:
- Effective mosquito control begins with proper design and construction planning of our community landscape and infrastructure.
- Existing infrastructure can be modified or improved through source reduction.
- Mosquito fish control mosquitoes biologically and reduce the need for mosquito control products.
- Biological larvicide products are applied to storm water infrastructure to control mosquitos before they reach adulthood.
- Occasionally, adulticide products are applied to control aggressive mosquitos or mosquitos carrying West Nile Virus.
Call 775-328-2434 for additional information or to request service.
Mosquito Surveillance and Treatments
All mosquito surveys and treatments are shown below for the previous 30 days.
Mosquito Control Products
Washoe County Health District is dedicated to creating a safe and healthy community. We rely on granular products that allow for accurate targeted applications, are speciic to controlling larval mosquito populations, and are safe to use in areas with ﬁsh, pets, horses, livestock, birds, and aquatic wildlife.
Altosid P35 is a growth regulator for mosquito control. This product prevents mosquitos from getting past the larvae stage in their life. Altosid P35 also has a 35 day release period meaning that it doesn't need to be re applied as much as some other larvicides.
ACTIVE INGREDIENTS (S)-Methoprene 4.25% OTHER INGREDIENTS 95.75%
EPA Reg. No. 89459-95. Altosid P35 Product Label
VectoLex FG is a selective microbial insecticide that targets mosquito larvae. This product needs to be re applied around every 21 days and is a granular larvicide. This is a bacterial larvicide.
ACTIVE INGREDIENTS Bacillus sphaericus 7.5% OTHER INGREDIENTS 92.5%
EPA Reg. No. 73049-20. Vectolex FG Product Label
Duplex-G is a bacterial larvicide that targets mosquito larvae. This product is effective for 14-28 days. This is another granular larvicide.
ACTIVE INGREDIENTS Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis 5.35%, (S)-Methoprene 1.60%, OTHER 93.05%
EPA Reg. No. 89459-93. Duplex G Product Label
VectoMaxFG is another selective larvicide targeting mosquito larvae. This is a granular product. This is a bacterial larvicide.
ACTIVE INGREDIENTS Bacillus sphaericus 2.7%, Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis 4.5%, OTHER 92.8%
EPA Reg. No. 73049-429. VectoMax FG Product Label
Mosquito fish, Gambusia affinis, are able to eat large quantities of mosquito larvae. The Vector-Borne Disease Prevention Program employs mosquito fish as an effective biological method in controlling mosquitos. Our staff will stock mosquito fish in ornamental ponds, detention basins, and slow-moving streams and wetlands.
The following are some of the factors that should be considered before stocking mosquito fish:
- Is the location a permanent water source?
- Does the location produce mosquitos?
- Do koi or other ornamental fish already exist in the location being considered? (Mosquito fish may be detrimental to such species.)
- Are predatory fish species such as blue gills present? (Predatory fish will out-compete mosquito fish.)
- Is the water quality adequate?
- Does the depth and vegetation provide adequate harborage for the fish?
The Vector-Borne Disease Prevention Program staff is available to assist you determining if your pond is appropriate for stocking mosquito fish. You may call the office at 785-4599 for more information or to request fish for your pond.
NOTICE - Environmental Health Services (EHS) requires the following for any specimen identification (i.e., insects, bats) brought to our office located at 1001 East Ninth Street, Reno, Nevada:
Specimens must be tightly sealed in a see-through container (i.e., clear glass jar, plastic container with lid, or zipper storage bag). Containers will not be returned. Specimens contained in any other manner will not be accepted. Biological samples including bandages, hair, nail clippings, bodily secretions or other related items will not be accepted.
Last modified on 04/06/2022