Underground Storage Tanks
For instructions on how to create an account and/or apply for an Annual Permit, click here.
To find your WCHD ID and/or your NDEP ID, click here.
CONSTRUCTION (NEW INSTALLATION/REMODEL/UPGRADE)
For instructions on how to create an account and/or apply for a Construction Permit, click here.
For instructions on how to create an account and/or apply for an Decommissioning Permit, click here.
The Washoe County Health District (WCHD) has been appointed as the regulatory authority for the Underground Storage Tank Inspections, Release Determination, and Underground Storage Tank (UST) installation plan review, approval, and permitting.
WCHD permits all facilities with regulated USTs at fueling stations and those with underground tanks for emergency generators. The annual permit and fee require an on-site biennial physical inspection and submittal of all required testing, monitoring documentation, and paperwork the following year at each facility. This ensures all facilities are in constant communication with WCHD and maintain compliance with all State and Federal Regulations.
What’s New to Regulated UST Systems and How the Permitting Process Works
On December 16, 2021, the Washoe County District Board of Health (DBOH) approved the UST permit issuance and fees for regulated USTs. The State of Nevada Board of Examiners approved the Interlocal Agreement between the Nevada Division of Environmental Protection and the Washoe County Health District to provide regulatory oversight of regulated USTs in Washoe County.
What Happens Now
- Each regulated UST operator in Washoe County will receive a notice via email and USPS that as a registered operator of a UST in Washoe County they are required to submit an application to apply for an annual permit for the UST system they own or operate. The email and letter will have instructions on how to register for an account through onenv.us and apply and pay for a permit.
- The annual UST system permit fee is $875.
- Every regulated UST system in Washoe County will receive an annual inspection in the form of either a physical onsite visit or a record review audit of monthly, annual, and three-year testing requirements for each UST system.
Workshops and Public Meetings were held: Click here for Info
Underground storage tank installation requires plan review, approval, and permitting through the Washoe County Health District (WCHD) building permit and plan review process.
The Washoe County Health District (WCHD) administers the Underground Storage Tank (UST) Program in Washoe County via inter-local contract with the Nevada Division of Environmental Protection (NDEP). The WCHD performs routine UST inspections, oversees UST system installation/decommissioning.
- 40 CFR 280 via US EPA website
- NRS 459.800 – 459.856 (Storage Tanks)
- NAC 459.9921 – 459-9995 (Storage Tanks)
- NAC 445A.226 – 445A.22755 (Water Controls)
The WCHD must be notified for all UST system installations, repairs, modifications, and removals.
Local building and fire agencies should be contacted concerning additional permitting requirements.
- Click here for UST fee information.
- Permit Application
All federally regulated USTs must be registered with the submission of an EPA Form 7530-1 to WCHD and NDEP.
UST files are available for review at the WCHD office located at 1001 East 9th Street, Building B, 2nd Floor, Reno, Nevada 89512. All record requests require the submission of a Public Records Request Form. These forms must be submitted via email to HealthEHS@washoecounty.gov The WCHD policy is to complete these requests within five working days unless, due to the size of the request, additional time may be required. If additional time is required, the requester will be notified.
Contact the Program
Luke Franklin - UST Program Manager
Last modified on 10/27/2022