Excellence In Food Safety Awards
The Excellence in Food Safety Awards program was created to recognize Washoe County food facilities that go above and beyond to demonstrate their commitment to long-term food safety. Participating in the program will not only help facilities to better publicize their food safety record, it can also be used as a working goal to encourage employee teambuilding and awareness of food safety practices in the workplace.
How It Works
The Excellence in Food Safety Awards program will operate from January 1st through December 1st each calendar year. Food facilities that meet the program criteria are encouraged to complete and submit an application and supporting documents to WCHD. Applications will be reviewed by WCHD staff from November 1st to December 31st each year. Qualifying facilities will receive an award certificate, window sticker, and a digital logo to display on webpages and social media. Additionally, recipients will be listed on the WCHD website and on the Washoe Eats smartphone app. There is no limit to the number of food establishments that can receive this award per year.
Any facility in Washoe County that meets the eligible criteria as listed below may apply.
Mandatory Criteria (must meet all):
- Establishment must be currently open for business and possess a valid health permit
- Establishment has at least one Certified Food Protection Manager
- Permit has not been suspended or revoked during the application year
- The establishment hs not had any enforcement action taken during the past two years, such as risk control plans or office hearings
Mandatory Inspection Requirements (must meet all):
- Establishment has been inspected in accordance with the WCHD's frequency requirements
- Establishment has passed all inspections
- Establishment has not exceeded allowable number of violations.
- Establishment has had no more than one repeat violation during the last two years
- Establishment has had no more than three non-critical violations per inspection
- Risk Category 1's & 2's: establishment has had no more than one critical violation in the last two years
- Risk Category 3's: establishment has had no more than two critical violations in the last two years
Supporting Documents-Facility-based Criteria (pick 3), 6 options:
- Approved HACCP plan
- Proof of food safety logs (for example: temperature, cooling, calibration)
- Continuing education for staff, including attendance at training or conferences
- Written Food Safety Plan or internal training program
- Essay (min 500 words) – “How has your establishment promoted a culture of food safety excellence this year?”
- Approved Operational Plans (for example: Dogs on Patios, Catering, Barbeque)
Please see the form below to apply for an Excellence in Food Safety Award.
Last modified on 09/02/2022