- Washoe County Health District
- About Us
- Programs and Services
- Air Quality
- Birth and Death Records
- Commercial Recycling
- What can be recycled?
- How do I prepare my waste for recycling?
- Is there a cost to recycle?
- Why recycle if the process will cost my business money?
- Isn’t commercial recycling limited by city franchise agreements?
- Where can I get more information if I am interested in establishing a recycling program for my business?
- Cottage Food
- E. coli
- Environmental Health
- Nevada Clean Indoor Air Act
- Solid Waste Management Plan
- Special Events/Temporary Food
- Waste Reduction, Recycling, and Disposal
- Community And Clinical Health
- Water Projects/Engineering
- News Center
- COVID-19 Info
Is there a cost to recycle?
There is no easy answer to this question. Recyclable materials are subject to the same supply and demand limitations faced by most businesses. Flux in the market for recyclable materials has a major impact on their value. Some recyclable materials have enough value that a permitted waste hauler will collect them for free or even pay for the material. Other recyclable materials may have a low value, requiring the permitted waste hauler to charge you a nominal fee to collect them. As with most resources, collection and transportation costs may offset any profit that could be realized from recycling.
Last modified on 01/09/2015