Are you in a violent situation?

You should not have to live in fear! There are support groups you can join and places you can go. Court actions can be taken if you are living in violence.
Remember, violence is not just being hit. You can be a victim of violence when someone is threatening to hurt you, following you around all the time (stalking you), throws things at walls, punches doors, hurts your pet, breaks things, or forces you to do something that you do not want to do. You do not have to have bruises, scratches or broken bones.
There are ways to protect yourself or someone you care about from being hurt or being scared of getting hurt. 


CHILD ABUSE: If your parent or guardian is hurting you, you can call Washoe County Division of Social Services, Child Protective Services at (775) 785-8600. If you have a crisis and it is after normal business hours, you can call them at (775) 784-8090. Teachers, doctors, nurses and counselors must call Social Services if they suspect a teen or child is being abused at home. Social Services can go to court and get an order to remove you from your home. You can be placed with a relative, in a foster home, or in a group home. If this happens, Social Services will set up a plan for you that may include getting your parents services or treatment so that you can live with them again. If that is not possible, Social Services will look for a permanent and safe place for you to live. This could be an adoption, or if you are an older teen, it might be teaching you independent living skills so that you can be on your own when you turn 18. Social Services can also get treatment, counseling, or other types of services for you if you need them.

SEXUAL ASSAULT: If you have been forced to do sexual acts with someone, you have been sexually assaulted. You can be sexually assaulted by someone your own age, an adult, or someone younger than you. It's about whether you're able to consent and if you did give your consent (did you agree?). If you are passed out from drinking, you cannot give your consent. You may not be old enough to consent. In Nevada, the age of consent is 16. You do not have to have bruises or scratches to be sexually assaulted. You are not sexually assaulted if you are willing and old enough to be sexually active with the other person. If you are sexually assaulted, tell someone right away! You should probably go to a doctor too. The doctor can check to see if you are hurt and treat your injuries. The doctor can also test for sexually transmitted diseases (STD's). The doctor can also look for evidence of the sexual assault. You can report it to the police. Criminal charges may be brought against the person who hurt you. The police will take your statement and do an investigation.

There are support groups out there too: The Rape, Abuse, Incest National Network (RAINN) will automatically transfer you to the sexual assault crisis center nearest you. Their phone number is 1-800-656-HOPE (4673).

DOMESTIC VIOLENCE: Most people think of domestic violence as something that happens between adults who live together; when one adult is hitting another adult. But domestic violence is more than that, it is abuse that happens in a household. It can be a brother beating his brother, a stepfather hitting your mother, or a daughter throwing things at her mother. It is not always a man hurting a woman; a woman can also abuse a man. Remember, it's not just about being hit; it can be any act that makes someone afraid of being hurt (like punching the wall or threatening to kill you).

Here is a list of shelter and support groups to help people dealing with domestic violence:
Nevada Network Against Domestic Violence (NNADV) 220 S. Rock Blvd. Suite 7 Reno, NV 89502 775-828-1115 1-800-230-1955

Committee to Aid Abused Women (CAAW) 1735 Vassar Street Reno, NV 89502 Office: 775-329-4150 Hotline: 775-785-7550

A Safe Embrace 275 Hill Street, Suite 244 Reno, NV 89501 Hotline:  775-322-3466 1-877-930-3466

Tahoe SAFE Alliance Incline Village, NV Hotline: (800) 736-1060

National Domestic Violence Hotline 1-800-799-SAFE (7233)

Nevada Domestic Violence Hotline 1-800-500-1556

24 Hour Crisis Hotline Reno: 775-784-8090

Crime Victim Compensation Information Reno: 775-688-2900

Women's Law Organization (legal advice & FAQ's)