Youth support during family break-ups

If your parents are separating, sometimes they don't realize how much you are hurting. They don't do that intentionally; it's just that they are hurting too. But still, you can get caught in the middle. Even though that shouldn't happen, sometimes it does. We know it can be really hard, and as much as you are stuck in the middle, often you don't get heard.

If your parents are married, they can get a divorce. Lots of things are decided in a divorce, like ending their marriage, dividing property, finding out who gets the house, but most importantly what happens to you. Usually it is a judge that makes these decisions, unless your parents agree on what should happen.

There is no set rule that says when you are a certain age (other than 18 when you are an adult) you can decide where you live. The court decides that. In making that decision, the court does what it believes is in your best interests. Although your wishes are considered, they are not the only factors.

You do not have to go to court unless you've been subpoenaed. If your parents ask you to go to court, you can say no. You should talk to them and explain how you are feeling.

Here is a list of places that can help kids and teens that need support, information, counseling or therapy:

The Children's Cabinet 1090 S. Rock Blvd., Reno, NV 775-856-6200

UNR Community Services Referrals (link to brochure with multiple agencies for both parents and child services) Children's Behavioral Services 2655 Enterprise Road, Reno, NV 775-688-1600

The Boys and Girls Club of Truckee Meadows 3905 Neil Road, Reno, NV 775-828-3940 and 2680 East 9th Street, Reno, NV 775-331-3605.

Northern Nevada Child and Adolescent Services (Division of State of Nevada - Child and Family Services) Main Campus 2655 Enterprise Road, Reno, NV 775-688-1600

Sesame Street Toolkit for Children of Incarcerated Parents