Envision Washoe 2040
This master plan is currently being updated. For information on the update and upcoming public engagement opportunities, visit Envision Washoe 2040.
The Washoe County Master Plan is divided into three volumes. It includes countywide elements, area plans, and a number of more detailed plans (e.g. specific plans, community plans, joint plan). The Master Plan is used to determine the most desirable location of each type of development. The plan has policies and maps designated to define development suitability and conserve natural resources (e.g. protect critical environmental areas, define water resources, enhance visual and scenic corridors, etc.). It also includes growth forecasts as well as policies and maps reflecting desires related to land uses and transportation. Finally, the Master Plan has standards and maps to guide provision of public services and facilities. The public services and facilities are implemented through the Capital Improvements Program.
The Master Plan is contained in three volumes:
- Volume One - contains elements that have general applicability throughout the County;
- Volume Two - contains area plans covering each of the County planning areas; and
- Volume Three - contains the specific plans, community plans and joint plans contained within the various planning areas.
The Planning and Building Division of the Community Services Department is responsible for maintaining and updating the Master Plan in response to changing conditions, legislative direction and new policy direction established by the community.
The Master Plan is a dynamic document subject to revision. Each component of the Washoe County Master Plan can be amended up to four times per year. Amendments are published as they become available. The date in the footer of each document identifies the date that document was adopted or last amended.
Volume 1 - Elements
- Land Use and Transportation
- Open Space and Natural Resource Management
- Public Services and Facilities
Volumes 2 and 3 - Area Plans and Specific Plans
Note: All maps are 24" x 36".
View overview map of all planning areas
- Cold Springs Area Plan (Map: PDF JPG)
- Forest Area Plan (Map: PDF JPG)
- High Desert Area Plan (Map: PDF JPG)
- North Valleys Area Plan (Map: PDF JPG)
- South Valleys Area Plan (Map: PDF JPG)
- Southeast Truckee Meadows Area Plan (Map: PDF JPG)
- Southwest Truckee Meadows Area Plan (Map: PDF JPG)
- Spanish Springs Area Plan (Map: PDF JPG)
- Sun Valley (Map: PDF JPG)
- Tahoe Area Plan (Map: PDF JPG)
- Truckee Canyon Area Plan (Map: PDF JPG)
- Verdi Area Plan (Map: PDF JPG)
- Warm Spring Area Plan (Map: PDF JPG)