Q & A with Sam & Rich video series gives an overview of how we manage and keep our Roads clear throughout Washoe County, including Incline Village, during winter weather. Our Roads experts share the top questions we’ve received from our community in each of the videos below: 









Washoe County roads maintains and preserves the transportation and drainage infrastructure throughout the unincorporated portion of Washoe County from the Oregon border to and including Incline Village. This infrastructure includes more than 1,000 miles of paved and gravel roads, as well as an extensive network of storm water draining ditches. The division also supports commerce, tourism and area transportation requirements by performing a variety of other road related tasks such as snow plowing, street sweeping and weed abatement along roadways.  

Southern Washoe County Roads
Encompasses most of the out-lying areas and valleys from the southwest, southeast, northwest and northeast portions of Washoe County.  Map
(775) 328-2180
Gerlach/Vya Roads
Gerlach is 107 miles northerly from Reno on State Route 447. Map
Vya is 186 miles northerly from Reno or 20 miles easterly from Cedarville, California.  Map
(775) 557-2373
Incline Village
Incline Village is 25 miles southerly of Reno to North Shore Lake Tahoe.  Map
(775) 832-4125
 Parking Restrictions During Winter
Incline Residents should call the IVGID hotline 775-833-5555 for information on snow & ice conditions and parking (Red/Green Day).  Please note the recording will be left at red until we get the ice off the streets. 


Right of Way Maintenance:  Washoe County roads receives and dispatches all calls that require road maintenance action.  A Work order is generated when each call is received and is traced through completion.  Call (775) 328-2180 to contact roads with any concerns or questions regarding Washoe County roads and streets.

Drainage System MaintenanceRoad crews inspect and maintain both the open ditch drainage system, and the enclosed storm drainage collection systems along the 1,040 miles of County roadways once a year. This maintenance typically involves ditch cleaning or reconstruction, pipe repair and replacement, sedimentation removal, blockage removal and inlet repair. Occasionally maintenance and water removal/pumping is required due to minor roadway flooding.

Snow and Ice Control:  Washoe County's Snow and Ice Control plan is reviewed annually to ensure our snow and ice control methods and procedures are conducted in a safe, efficient and environmentally sound manner. To learn more, click on this link:  Snow and Ice Control Plan.

Traffic Engineering: Traffic engineering within Washoe County encompasses review of new development, proposals, traffic signal timing in the unincorporated areas, traffic safety, and neighborhood traffic analysis.

  • Washoe County's Traffic Calming Policy can be viewed here.
  • Traffic signals/lights.  If you have any problems with traffic signals/lights call the RTC "Regional" Traffic Signal Hotline: (775) 335-ROAD (7623)
  • Requests for a review of other traffic issues can be made in writing using the Traffic Calming/Traffic Engineering Request Form
  • Residents requesting speed humps must call (775) 328-2040 before collecting signatures.  For additional requests or questions, call (775) 328-2040.

Presumed Public Roads:  NOTICE - At a hearing held April 27, 1999, the Washoe County Board of County Commissioners found the roads shown on these maps were presumed to be public roads based on NRS 405.191 and NRS 405.195.  These maps will neither create nor extinguish a public right-of-way by virtue of showing or not showing a road as a public road.  The action of the Washoe County Board of County Commissioners may be superseded by a court of competent jurisdiction.
Official Notice
Carson Area
Gerlach Area
High Rock Area
Kumiva Area
Reno Area
Vya Area

StreetLights:  For questions/problems regarding street lights contact Nevada Energy.

Public Right-of-Way Construction: A permit is required to perform any construction work within the public right-of-way or any construction work outside of the public right-of-way that will cut, break, or otherwise damage the public right-of-way. 

Nevada Department of Transportation (NDOT): The State of Nevada is responsible for the planning, construction, operation and maintenance of the state’s highway system. Information on road maintenance and projects being carried out by the State of Nevada and other road information can be found at:

For travel information within NV   

REGIONAL TRANSPORTATION COMMISSION : The Regional Transportation Commission of Washoe County (RTC) is responsible for the transportation needs throughout Reno, Sparks, and Washoe County, Nevada. The RTC provides public transportation services, street and highway construction, and transportation planning.RTC's Streets and Highways program is a joint effort involving the City of Reno, the City of Sparks, the Washoe County, and RTC. Their primary responsibility is road repair and construction within their jurisdiction, specifically; regional roadways, high-traffic (greater than 5,000 avg. daily trips) streets, and roads that cross geographic barriers or that connect jurisdictions.

3101 Longley Road
Reno, NV  89502
(775) 328-2180
Fax: (775) 328-2110